Old Houses of Needham

 

 

 

 

Fuller House | Townsend House | 2nd Fuller House | Tolman Gay House | Hearthstone Farm | Bird House | Hawes-Newell House | Lewis House | Ebenezer McIntosh House | Nathan McIntosh House | Whitney House |Ezra Fuller House | Mills House | Little Red School House | Needham Historical Society


Moving The Little Red Schoolhouse
Please be patient while our Quicktime Movie loads.
Download Quicktime Player for MAC or PC

The little red school house was moved from 278 Central Ave. (near Webster St.) to the front lawn of the Newman Elementary School on February 26, 2005. The house was loaded onto a trailer and ready to be moved at 8:00 at night. The move was supposed to take place at night and finish at 8:00 the next morning, but delays occurred at the house did not reach the Newman Elementary School until 2:00 the next day. During the move traffic was stopped and RCN, Comcast, Verizon and NStar had to coordinate work to drop cable TV, electric and phone lines so that the house could pass through the street. Since then the little red school house has been changed to look the way that it did in the 1800's. It was attached to the Mills House, which was also moved onto the front lawn of the Newman Elementary School from next door. The little red school house is now used as part of the Needham Historical Society which is attached next door in the Mills House.

The Upper Falls School House at its original location at 278 Central Ave and at its new home.

 

Julie Likel Minarski and Kathleen Martell
Needham Public Schools, Needham MA
June 2006